Hey, everybody we've migrated over to a new web site. This is way out of date!
For the (much better!) new content, please click here:
Sonoma County Wine Library
Wine Library blog - new books, upcoming events
Digital services and collections
Some great wine links
About the Wine Library
Brochure and subscription form
The Wine Library Associates of Sonoma County
Search the Wine Library Catalog
Use this box to keyword search for books and more in the Wine Library. You can use authors, titles, and subjects all together. For example:
- viala ampelography
- thomas pinney
Digital Services and Collections
International Wine Research Database (IWRDB.org) (Beta)
International Wine Research Database (IWRDB) at iwrdb.org is
a collaborative project funded by the Library Services & Technology Act (LSTA) through the California State Library. With the
Sonoma County Wine Library serving as chief editor, IWRDB provides indexing and abstracting of articles on wine, winemaking, grapegrowing,
the wine business and the history of wine. Beginning in the 1980s as a clippings file, IWRDB received an initial LSTA grant forming winefiles.org,
and the latest grant (20132014) has brought it to another exciting level.
The items in the database include citations, abstracts and links to articles
in the technical, academic, trade and consumer wine magazines and journals. There are also citations and summaries
for newspaper articles, government documents, press releases, advertising brochures and other ephemera dealing with wine.
This project is supported by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library
Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology
Act, administered in California by the State Librarian. In addition, the project has been supported, financially and otherwise, for many years by the Wine Library Associates of Sonoma County and by several wine industry groups.
Sonoma County Visionaries, Immigrants and Winemakers
The Sonoma County Wine Library's online local history collection includes images of historical interest of the Sonoma County wine industry from the 1870s through the 1990s. These images portray the wine makers and companies of Sonoma County, past and present. Part of the Sonoma County Library's Heritage Collections.
Biblioteca Vinaria Sonoma
From proclamations of George III on wine regulations to letters describing the grape production in Sonoma Valley vineyards, the Sonoma County Wine Library's collection includes a wide range of historical texts on all aspects of viticulture and winemaking. The digitized books, pamphlets and ephemera available through the Sonoma Heritage Collection represent the majority of the Wine Library's holdings available in the public domain (published before 1923). Part of the Sonoma County Library's Heritage Collections.
About the Sonoma County Wine Library
What's the Wine Library?
- A special service and collection of the Sonoma County Library, the collection
comprising 5,000 books on wine and related subjects, subscriptions and backfiles
to over 80
- Wine Librarian: Jon Haupt
- Jon and the Healdsburg Library staff will be happy to assist you with your research. Find the right article, bibliographic reference, photograph or other piece of wine information. Contact them at the above numbers or send e-mail to: email@example.com.
- SCWL serves as a business and technical library for the Sonoma County wine industryan industry which, in turn, assists with funding the library.
- In addition, the library preserves and protects our legacy by functioning as an archive of the history of wine in Sonoma County and beyond.
on the Sonoma County Wine Library from the Bohemian.
The Sonoma County Wine Library has four stated collecting areas:
- The science and technology of growing grapes and making wine
- The business and economics of the wine industry
- The history of wine worldwide
- The history of wine in Sonoma County
Sonoma County Wine Oral Histories
We now have lists available of published oral histories at the Wine Library. These are transcripts of interviews with winemakers, growers, and other notable figures in the Sonoma County wine industry.
Rare Books and Other Treasures of the Sonoma County Wine Library
The Treasures of the Sonoma County Wine Library include
- 5,000 books dealing with all aspects of wine
- Wine Making
- Grape Growing
- Wine Marketing
- History of Wine Making Worldwide
- Special Emphasis on Sonoma County Wine History
- Subscriptions to over 60 periodicals dealing with wine
- Over 1,000 rare wine books dating back as far as 1512
- Many of the works cited in standard bibliographies covering wine and
winemaking, grape growing and the business of wine from the early works
to the present.
- Accessible through our catalog.
- Once logged on, and looking at the record of a rare wine book, click
"MARC display" at the bottom of the left-hand panel to see a full display
of the cataloging record containing extensive summaries and bibliographic
- Wine Labels
- 16mm films