Books: Libraries, Bookstores & Publishers
- Sonoma County Library WorldCat
- Search thousands of libraries worldwide and place requests for items.
- Free Bookmobile of Sonoma County
- Delivers donated books to children, seniors, and others throughout Sonoma County.
- Quick search of thousands of libraries worldwide that participate in the OCLC service.
Santa Rosa Junior College
- See the SRJC website for hours.
Sonoma State University
- How to get a Sonoma State library card if you're not a Sonoma State student
Sonoma County Law Library
- Open to the public; for legal research.
Celia Gurevich Library, Santa Rosa
- Open to the public; strong in Judaica and local history. See the Congregation Beth Ami website for hours.
UC Berkeley OskiCat
- Search Berkeley's library catalog.
California State University Libraries
- Catalog of the libraries at CSU campuses statewide
California State Library
- The State Library in Sacramento is part of the State government (not CSU)
- Contact information for any library in California
from the State Library. With links to the State Library's
catalog, and other CSL information.
Library of Congress
- Links to the American Memory Project, the Thomas government web site
and our nation's premier research library.
LibWeb: Library WWW sites
Book Tours & Readings
- Their schedule of events & readings is
available from a link on the left.
News & Events
From the Northern California Booksellers Association
Bookstores & Booksellers Online
Local Sonoma County Bookstores
- Local independently owned bookstores in Sonoma County;
information on readings and other events, staff picks and featured items.
A place to search for and order books from your local independent
bookstore. Sponsored by the American Booksellers Association. Enter your zip code to find the nearest participating store, or enter the
name of your favorite bookstore to see if they participate. See what's a
bestseller at the independent bookstores.
- Northern California Booksellers
- Extensive links to local
booksellers, lots of information for booksellers and book buyers.
Also the former home of Holt
Uncensored Pat Holt's column on books, authors and publishing.
Besides the archives of her bi-weekly column, there are letters from
readers and the ongoing spoof of the book industry, "Remainders of the
Other Northern California and general bookstores - online and off
- Online clearinghouse for used, rare and antiquarian books.
- Online superstore features books, movies, music, and other merchandise.
- Books, textbooks, e-books, movies, music for sale. Also features "book clubs" or blogs on various genres and subjects.
Better World Books
- Donates a portion of profits to literacy programs. Buy used books, or create a buyback account to sell your used books.
- This is the mother lode - this search engine
searches multiple booksellers and book listing services (here's a list),
and it provides a fast and informative way to search for used, rare and
out of print books across multiple services, all under one clean and
useful interface. Their database includes new books, and university
press books at cost.
- The homepage
resource for Booksellers from the American Bookseller
- Wonderful selection of used and antiquarian books. Very good
selection of older and historic titles in Women's Studies and the
history of feminism.
A Different Light
- Specializes in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and feminist books.
- A treasure trove; subject lists of used/antiquarian
books available for searching.
Powell's Books, Portland OR
- Large large selection, lower shipping costs than other
stores, and you are supporting one of the best browsing bookstores in the
world. Interesting staff reviews online.
- Sells ebooks by independent authors and publishers. Prices generally range from about $1 - $15, with many titles available free. Browse by subject/genre using the links in the left menu.
The Special Needs Project
- Online bookseller with reviews on topics from aging to Down syndrome,
epilepsy and vision problems. Many titles in Spanish.
database includes book reviews, book lists, and discussion guides for adult and
children's fiction and non-fiction.
(You need your Sonoma County Library card number to use this from outside the
database contains the full-text of book reviews from a wide variety of
general periodicals and specialty journals, including library journals. Use "book
review" as one of your search terms. (You need your Sonoma County Library
card number to
- This database contains the full-text of book reviews from a newspapers including
the Press Democrat, San Francisco Chronicle, and New York Times. Use an
author name or a book title in your search. (You need your Sonoma County Library
card number to use
- Reviews, profiles, author interviews. From The Daily Beast.
The Millions Blog
- Reviews and remarks on books and publishing, along with many links to other literary blogs.
The Threepenny Review
- Wonderful original criticism, fiction, poetry, memoir,
and essays, with an archive of
articles from past issues.
- The most comprehensive collection of online reviews of current titles, varying widely in
- More than
1,500 book reviews in all genres, this online magazine features Reading
Lists which contain lists of Series and Sequels ("what comes next" lists
for popular authors) and advice on what to read based on what you already
like - this reader's advisory service is created by librarians.
New York Review of Books
- Search selected articles from the archives from 1995 to
the present, but full text archives for the
years from 1963 are currently being built, and you can go in and
New York Times Book Reviews
- Excerpts from the daily reviews and Sunday Book Review,
often with links to first chapters, provided by the publisher.
- Monthly newsletter edited by librarians now online, with reviews of other
media as well.
The Children's Literature Web Guide
- Reviews and info on Children's Literature.
Publishers & Catalogs
American Association of University Presses
- The combined catalogs of AAUP members.
Publishers' Catalogs Homepage
- Links to many presses.